Lindsay Vance Smith’s commitment to North Carolina, education, and the law runs deep. A Charlotte native, Lindsay has taught literature and writing at both the college and high school levels. In addition, before attending law school, Lindsay spent several years working for another education law firm, where she assisted attorneys representing public school boards and school districts on a wide variety of legal matters.
Lindsay received her law degree with High Honors from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2014. After graduating from law school, Lindsay served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Albert Diaz at the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Lindsay also practiced civil and appellate litigation for several years in the Washington, DC, office of an international law firm.
Lindsay joined Tharrington Smith in 2017. Lindsay represents public school boards across a broad range of matters, focusing on civil and administrative litigation and appeals.
University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, 2014
- High honors; Order of the Coif
- North Carolina Law Review, Contributing Editor
- Women in Law, President Conference on Race, Class, Gender & Ethnicity, Co-chair
North Carolina State University, M.F.A. in Creative Writing, 2007
- Full graduate teaching assistantship
- University Outstanding Teaching Award, 2007
- English Department Outstanding Teaching Award 2007
Grove City College, B.A. in English, 2004
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Albert Diaz, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2014–2015
- North Carolina State Bar, since 2014
- North Carolina Bar Association, since 2014
- American Bar Association, since 2014
- Wake County Bar Association, since 2017
- 10th Judicial District Bar, since 2017
- North Carolina State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- Arnold & Porter Kay Scholer, LLP, Washington, DC, Litigation Associate, 2015-2017