Raleigh, N.C. – August 18, 2022 — Tharrington Smith, LLP is pleased to announce the nomination of 20 lawyers from 12 individual practice areas to the 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® lists. Since 1983, the Best Lawyers list has been cultivated to recognize only the most outstanding lawyers in all practice sections from across the country and is considered one of the most esteemed accolades in the legal profession.
Notable features from Tharrington Smith, LLP’s 2023 Best Lawyers nominations include F. Hill Allen and Ken Soo, each of whom received a Lawyer of the Year recognition. Allen has spent 10 years on the Best Lawyers list, while Soo received the honor for the third consecutive year. Stephen Rawson and Colin Shive were both selected for the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list, which honors exceptional attorneys early in their careers, and Wade M. Smith also received a nomination for Best Lawyers, a distinction he has earned for over 40 years.
“Our firm has a long history of helping clients of every size solve difficult problems,” said Lawyer of the Year recipient Hill Allen. “I am fortunate to have learned from the best, and proud to continue their work alongside my very talented colleagues.” Allen also received the Lawyer of the Year recognition in 2021.
“Many thanks to my colleagues in the legal community for this recognition,” added fellow recipient Ken Soo. “I am grateful and humbled. Thank you also to the lawyers and staff at Tharrington Smith for their support and inspiration over the years.”
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch nominee and education attorney Stephen Rawson also stated his gratitude: “Awards and honors are not why we work in public education, but being recognized like this by my peers in the legal community means a lot and I appreciate it very much.”
Lawyers are chosen for the Best Lawyers list based solely on confidential evaluations from their peers in the field and are not permitted to pay in order to be recognized. Best Lawyers is known as one of the most reliable and respected peer-review publications in both the legal profession and the media, acknowledging the finest lawyers in America for over forty years.
Below is a complete list of Tharrington Smith, LLP lawyers recognized on the Best Lawyers list, the number of years they have been listed, and their practice areas.
- F. Hill Allen, 10 years. Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Russell D. Babb, 5 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Jonathan A. Blumberg, 10 years. Education Law
- Lynn P. Burleson, 20 years. Family Law
- Daniel W. Clark, 5 years. Commercial Litigation, Litigation – First Amendment, Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Howard Cummings, 3 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Melissa Hill, 10 years. Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Evan Horwitz, 5 years. Family Law
- Douglas E. Kingsbery, 15 years. Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Steven D. Mansbery, 5 years. Family Law
- Jaye Meyer, 20 years. Family Law
- Fred M. Morelock, 15 years. Family Law, Family Law Mediation
- Carolyn Murchison, 2 years. Education Law
- Randall M. Roden, 10 years. Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Roger W. Smith, Jr., 5 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice, DUI/DWI Defense
- Wade M. Smith, 40 years. Bet-the-Company Litigation, Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Ken Soo, 3 years. Appellate Practice, Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Alice C. Stubbs, 10 years. Family Law
Tharrington Smith, LLP congratulates their Best Lawyers in America® class of 2023 and is honored to boast a staff made up of the most outstanding and knowledgeable attorneys in the legal profession. The firm thanks Best Lawyers for their continued recognition of their lawyers’ achievements.