Are You Worried About an Audit?

The IRS has informed you that your tax return, or some aspect of it, has been selected for exam, and you know that there is some aspect of that return that is inaccurate or incomplete.  The inaccuracy or omission may have nothing to do with the focus of the audit.  You may have understated income, overstated deductions, failed to disclose a foreign financial account, to name a few.  Your single biggest concern is that the examiner will uncover the transgression and will refer the case to Criminal Agents for investigation.  You have lots of questions, and are unsure what to do.  Should you proceed with the audit and hope the transgression is not discovered?  Does your return preparer know about the transgression?  Should you tell your preparer?  Should you disclose the transgression to the examiner up front?  The answers to these questions will vary depending upon the specific circumstances of your case.  You should consult an experienced criminal tax attorney as soon as you receive the audit notice.

We Can Provide the Legal Guidance that You Need

Can my case be resolved civilly, without any criminal charges?  What should I do first?  If I am charged, what are my chances at trial?  Do I have any defenses?  What is the worst that can happen to me?  Do I have to turn over my own records?  What do I say to my employer, to my employees, to my tax preparer, to my family and to my friends?  These are all important questions that can arise in every criminal tax case.  How they are addressed can have a material impact on what happens to you.  We have been helping taxpayers and tax preparers analyze and answer these questions for more than twenty years.