Raleigh, N.C. – August 19, 2021 — Tharrington Smith, LLP is excited to announce the selection of 18 lawyers in 12 different practice areas to the 2022 The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® lists. Released today, Best Lawyers highlights individual lawyers in all practice sections. It is a highly regarded honor in the legal profession and is one of the oldest and most respected peer-review publications.
Tharrington Smith, LLP Best Lawyers in America® nominations are highlighted by Wade M. Smith, who has spent over 40 years on the Best Lawyers list, and first-time nominee Carolyn Murchison. Jeffrey R. Russell and Mary Aiken Barrow were both recognized for the second consecutive year in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, which only is in its second year of publication. In addition, Daniel W. Clark and Roger W. Smith, Jr. have been named as a Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers for the first time, a huge honor for the pair.
“I am honored and humbled to receive the Lawyer Of The Year award along with my law partner Dan Clark. It speaks volumes about Tharrington Smith that Dan and I have received this recognition in the same year. The truth is there are scores of attorneys in this firm that are more deserving of this recognition than myself. I am so thankful to every attorney and staff member at Tharrington Smith who make it a pleasure to come to work and practice law,” said Roger W. Smith, Jr. “I am also grateful and fortunate to have been mentored by my father, Roger Smith, Sr., and my uncle, Wade Smith. They are my teachers, my family, and my heroes. Thank you, Dad and Wade!”
“When I look at those who have received this recognition, I can only be grateful to be included among them,” Clark added.
Best Lawyers lists are compiled based on detailed peer-review evaluations, and lawyers are neither required nor allowed to pay a fee to be listed. They have published their list for over three decades, earning the respect of the profession, the media, and the public as the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals.
Below is a complete list of Tharrington Smith, LLP lawyers recognized on the Best Lawyers list, the number of years they have been listed, and their practice areas.
- F. Hill Allen, 10 years. Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Russell D. Babb, 5 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Jonathan A. Blumberg, 10 years. Education Law
- Lynn P. Burleson, 20 years. Family Law
- Daniel W. Clark, 5 years. Commercial Litigation, Litigation: First Amendment, Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Howard Cummings, 2 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Melissa Hill, 10 years. Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Evan Horwitz, 5 years. Family Law
- Douglas E. Kingsbery, 15 years. Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Steven D. Mansbery, 5 years. Family Law
- Jaye Meyer, 20 years. Family Law
- Fred Morelock, 15 years. Family Law, Family Law Mediation
- Randall M. Roden, 10 years. Commercial Litigation, Litigation: Intellectual Property
- Roger W. Smith, Jr., 5 years. Criminal Defense: General Practice, DUI / DWI Defense
- Wade M. Smith, 40 years. Bet-the-Company Litigation, Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Ken Soo, 2 years. Appellate Practice, Litigation: Labor and Employment
- Alice C. Stubbs, 10 years. Family Law
- Carolyn Murchison, 1 year. Education Law
Tharrington Smith, LLP is proud to present their 2022 Best Lawyers in America® class. They would like to congratulate Wade M. Smith, Roger W. Smith, Jr., Clark, Barrow, Russell, and Murchison on their achievements and congratulate all of the attorneys listed on their continued selection to this prestigious list. It is an honor to have such dedicated and experienced attorneys working at Tharrington Smith, LLP.
About Tharrington Smith LLP:
The attorneys at Tharrington Smith, LLP pride themselves on providing the highest quality professional legal services available. The motto “we don’t deal with cases, we deal with people” is the foundation of their practice, and they have been building successful relationships in the State since 1964. Because of this, they have grown into a practice that reaches across North Carolina and have earned a reputation that spreads across the nation. Focusing on the core proficiencies of family law, education law, criminal defense, and civil litigation, Tharrington Smith, LLP has helped countless individuals, companies, and governmental boards find lasting resolutions to their legal issues in North Carolina for 50 years.